By: Kristin Clements-Effner, MSW
Much talk about generational differences in the workplaces has included the four generations of Gen Y,. Gen X, Baby Boomers and Traditionalists; however, watch out because a new generation is on the way to workplaces across America. Who are these new arrivals, you ask? Generation Z or the Net Generation. These individuals were born in roughly 1994, but some references show back to 1991. So, if we thought things were complicated enough, it is about to get interesting.
What can we expect? I hate to generalize, but this is a list of characteristics that you could potentially encounter.
- Individualism and self expression
- Technology is a part of who they are
- Process information very fast and short attention spans
- Everyone is equal and more accepting of diversity
- Instant action and satisfaction
- Socially conscious
- Feel respect and trust is earned by actions
Challenges of this Generation: Interpersonal communication, Problem solving skills, Focusing attention for long periods, Concept of hard work leads to success
Check out this great resource from Crescendo Consulting Group, LLC: http://www.crescendocg.com/media/img/library/2011/03/18/GenZ.pdf