Written by Melissa Noyes, Cofounder/Web Coordinator
“Life’s most persistent and urgent question is–what are you doing for others?” ~Martin Luther King, Jr.
A week from today (January 17) is Martin Luther King Jr. Day. It’s a day when the nation comes together with a committment to service, social justice, peace and equality. (Want to learn more about MLK Day? Click here for more information).
In honor of this great American’s birthday, many of us have a day off work. This year, we encourage you to get out and do something positive for the community in whatever way speaks to you. (And really, what better way to start off the new year than with some world change?)
Since the focus of my blog is web/social media, here are some ways to get involved via social media and some helpful websites to get connected.
1. Not sure what you’re into? Visit our website to find out about relevant social issues.
2. Check out www.coolpeoplecare.org for lots of great ways to get involved and info on important issues.
3. Once you know what you’re passionate about, use Facebook and Twitter to find causes and groups that are doing something about the issue.
3. Are you a teen, or need an idea for your teen group? Visit www.dosomething.org
4. Visit One Brick Indy for opportunities to get involved with other young professionals. (They even have an MLK Day event on Saturday, January 14!)
4. Visit United Way of Central Indiana’s Volunteer Resources page to find a local volunteer opportunity.
The opportunities are endless. We hope that MLK Day 2011 will inspire you to get involved and make a positive impact. (And then keep making positive impacts every day!)
Use the comments section below to let us know what your plans are for MLK Day!
Keep on changin’ the world!