Written by: Kristin Clements-Effner, Cofounder/Training Coordinator
The first week of any new year marks a period of reflection and goal setting for most of us. You know… the usual lose weight, save money, quit my bad habit mantra that we all subscribe to when the ball drops on New Year’s Eve.
What if this year, we added “become a world changer” to that list of aspirations? I know that might seem lofty and who can really change the world, right? Well, at Catalyst we truly believe we all can change the world in our own ways by giving of our time, talent, and treasure.
We have all heard of volunteering at the local shelter serving a meal or donating a couple bucks at the check out lane at drug store. However, the plethora of opportunities that exist for us to truly engage with our community in meaningful ways is endless and they all have an impact on our neighbors from Washington Street to the Kibera slum in Kenya. Here are some ideas to get you started in 2011:
- Contact a local nonprofit about volunteer opportunities that they have available or search our website for an opportunity that fits your passion.
- As you go over your 2011 budget, designate an amount of money to give to a cause you care about every month.
- Buy fair trade coffee at the local grocery store or coffee shop to support fair wages and healthy environmental practices.
- Make a meal for a neighbor, friend, or coworker.
- Go to a locally owned restaurant on date night or purchase a gift from a local business to support the local economy.
- Join a group on Facebook about a cause you care about and let your friends know about it.
- Contact your elected officials as they kick off the new legislative sessions.
If none of these ideas strike your fancy, the opportunities are endless. You can contact us at Catalyst to help you find a way to turn your passion and skills into action.
I don’t know about you, but I think 2011 is the perfect year to “Be the Change” and add world changer to your list of accomplishments this year.